24/9/13

Gerunds vs infinitives BASICS




GERUNDS


as the subject of a sentence (S = Ger)

This position commonly calls for a gerund. While an infinitive is also possible, it is very formal and not common.
Shopping is my favourite hobby.
Working out has really improved my health.


following a preposition (Prep + Ger)

Here is another common gerund position. This rule applies to all prepositions, including ones that are part of phrasal verbs.
She thought about calling him, but decided she wouldn’t.
They are planning on going to the party tonight.

as the object of a verb (V + Ger)

This is the one position where both gerunds and infinitives are commonly used. The choice of which to use all depends on the verb. Some common ones are: advise, avoid, enjoy, finish, practise, quit, and suggest.
He enjoyed learning about gerunds.
My teacher suggested studying for the upcoming quiz.

*Don’t forget that some verbs take either a gerund or an infinitive with no change in meaning. While students don’t have to worry about these verbs, they should still be pointed out. Some common verbs are: like, love, and hate.
I love eating pasta.
I love to eat pasta.


INFINITIVES

following an adjective (Adj + Inf)

Though it is possible in some cases to use a gerund after an adjective, it is more common to use an infinitive, making it the better choice for students.
It is nice to meet you.
She mentioned that it was dangerous to stand near that machine.


following a noun or pronoun (N + Inf)

If the verb has an object that is a noun or a pronoun, it is almost always followed by an infinitive. This makes it easy for students to choose the correct form.
You asked me to call you.
The doctor advised Mark to eat more vegetables. 
(Note that the verb “advise” normally takes a gerund, as in “The doctor advised eating more vegetables.” But because there is a noun object in this sentence, we must use the infinitive. The noun rule supersedes the verb rule, which is great news for students.)


as the object of a verb (V + Inf)

This is the one position where both gerunds and infinitives are commonly used. It all depends on the verb. Some common ones are: ask, choose, decide, get, need, plan, promise, and want.
They want to get their tests back as soon as possible.
The students are planning to have a party this Friday.







1. I can’t help __ in love with you. (fall)
2. I don’t mind ___ every day out on your corner in the pouring rain. (stand)
3. I want __ free, I want __ free, I want __ free from your lies, you’re so self-satisfied, I don’t need you. (break / break / break)
4. Today I don’t feel like __ anything, I just want to stay in my bed. (do)
5. I hate __ up out of the blue uninvited but I couldn’t stay away, I couldn’t hide it, I had hoped you’d see my face and be reminded that for me it isn’t over.  (turn)
6. So I cross my heart and I hope __ that I’ll only stay with you one more night. (die)
7. I don’t need __ to control you, look into my eyes and I’ll own you with them moves like Jagger. (try)
8. Stop __, stop __, I don’t want to think anymore. I left my head and my heart on the dance floor. (call / call)
9. Hey Jude, don’t let me down, you have found her, now go and get her. Remember __ her into your heart, then you can start __ it better. (let / make)